"Durham Renowned" Photo Print
Sign behind performance stage at Fullsteam Brewery, itself a renowned brewery in Durham whose mission is "o craft distinctly Southern beer that celebrates the farm and food traditions of the American South."
In 1913, the Durham Traction Co. (later Duke Power) offered to pay to erect a large electric sign lauding Durham, as a gesture of thanks to downtown merchants who had purchased electric lights. The Commercial Club (later the Chamber of Commerce) sponsored a contest to decide the slogan. The winning entry, from WW Weaver and JE Banning was "Durham: Renowned the World Around."
The sign was erected on a moonlight night on December 15th, 1913. The sign, unfortunately, only operated "a short while" before being destroyed by a storm.